Sunday, February 16, 2014

Srb's Exploration IV

Fresh was a rather interesting and informative document/film that centralized around sustainable farming and agriculture through the many different perspectives of/by livestock and crop farmers, agricultural activists, and certain contractors. I personally thought that it was cool as it gave me a much more broader understanding between conventional and sustainable farming, the concerns of farmers who actually care about producing and making 'fresh' food for the entire populous, and why it's extremely important to be aware of what we eat. Towards the very beginning of the film, we heard Michael Pollan, an author and recipient of numerous awards, quote a visiting Pakistani that he knew. He said that, 'Americans fear only one thing -Inconvenience'.  We don't think or care about what the farmers go through, where it came from, what it takes to make it, and etc. The result of this: a mono-culture. Producing has never been more unsustainable and uncontrollable then ever before due to this. Different species grow together -an unnatural thing, where the use of antibiotics and immense amounts of fertilizers and pesticides are used to tame it and keep under control. The elimination of potential harmful risks to produce more efficiently is the way the system works nowadays. Sustainable farmers point out the risks of having 'factory farms' -large animal cities found all throughout the country, where they produce life-threatening toxic-waste that could kills humans due to the high usage of pharmaceuticals. Joel Salatin, a livestock sustainable farmer, believes that you have to move your cows and hogs on a rotational schedule, from one area to another. It's farming the right way, as it allows the excrement to re-vegetate. Nearly 70% of crops found in the US is grown for multi-purpose things, whereas the remaining 30% is only grown for our food.  I believe that statistic was given by George Naylor, former president of the National Family Farm Coalition. After watching the documentary, I wonder how long it would take for the sustainable farming movement to gain enough momentum and support from the masses? Has the film done enough to educate the nation about the truths behind conventional farming? Will this actually go somewhere, or will we continue to ignore this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment