Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Maggie's Exploration 3

Homemade Mac and cheese was the first meal I learned to make from scratch. My cousin Julie taught me how and now it's something I enjoy making, not only because it is so good, but because I have perfected it.The ingredients include:10oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, or other strong cheese grated Tabasco or cayenne pepper, 1 box short cut pasta preferably whole grain penne or macaroni. ½ cup of bread crumbs or oatmeal or quinoa flakes 2 Tbls butter 1 batch of low-fat béchamel recipe below. Don’t walk away from your béchamel. Stir often but not constantly. Once the béchamel is done put the grated cheddar into the sauce a little at a time stirring after each addition till it’s melted and smooth add a dash of Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper. Boil the pasta drain then toss with the cheese sauce. Pour into a casserole. Combine the bread crumbs or alternative with 2 Tbls melted butter and sprinkle on the top of the mac and cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven till golden on top.  

 A bechamel sauce, is a white sauce. It includes Ingredients • 6 tablespoons all purpose flour • 3 cups low-fat (1%) milk • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese • 1 large egg, beaten to blend • 1 teaspoon butter Preparation Whisk flour in heavy medium saucepan to remove any lumps. Gradually add 1 cup milk, whisking until smooth. Add remaining 2 cups milk and nutmeg; whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in Parmesan, egg and butter. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat until heated through before using; do not boil.)



In my family it's my grandma's pineapple upside down cake that everyone looks forward to.We know at any and every occasion where our family will get together, it will be there. Her mother use to make it when she was still alive and so she has just kept the recipe alive. I'm not the biggest fan of pineapple upside down cake, mainly because my grandma has started cheating as she has gotten older and uses canned cherries and pineapple, but I still very much appreciate where the idea of making the cake comes from.

1 comment:

  1. Your mac and cheese sounds amazing! I love how much detail you included in this, I feel like I could go home and cook up a pot of it right now! :)

    ReplyDelete