Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Exploration 3 Umer Haider

      The food that means the most to me would most likely be a bread like food called the Parata. It is sort of like tortilla bread, but more oily. It is a food that I use to have when I was younger when I lived in Dubai. We use to have a nanny who lived with us, and she would always make it for me. I am a very picky eater, and so I would only eat certain things. The Parata was one of them. When ever I eat that food I think of her, she was special to me because she was the one who was always around. I haven't seen her in 4 years, but she always calls and cries because she misses me. She is sort of like my second mother, and was the one who took care of me when my parents were at work. When I eat this food I feel some sort of connection with her. I want to visit her when I have a little more money, so that I could give her a better life than that of a nanny.
Parata
    My family eats a lot of Pakistani cuisines since my family originates from Pakistan. Choose one food is too hard because my family loves a lot of foods. The food I could think of from the top of my head would most likely be Naan. Now again this is also another bread like substance, but it is a food that we eat with almost anything. There is never a time when my family does not eat Naan. I personally don't eat Pakistani food because I have been more Americanized, but there fascination with it is amazing. The bread can be eaten with meat and rice, and ends up tasting really good. It is also a way for my family to eat with my hands because whenever we were in Pakistan or Dubai that's how we would eat. It brings this sort of rural and local feeling that makes us miss home.

Naan

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much middle eastern food, specifically naan is being used in American restaurants now as their "bread basket" substitute. My favorite is garlic naan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the bond you had with your grandmother and how she would make that dish for you. It reminds me of a time when my grandma visited from LA and she would make potato pancakes for me. She would make me all kinds of food and our bond grew stronger.

    ReplyDelete