Thursday, February 13, 2014

Erica Exploration 4

During the beginning of the film the voice over supplied "Americans just want want want, they do not worry about where it comes from, as long as it tastes good.". This initial quote truly caught my attention, I was unaware as to the full context of this statement, but I knew that it was the basis for the entirety of the film. The comparison between conventional and organic farming was portrayed through multiple interviews from all view points of this topic. They included the conventional farmers who are caught up in blackmail like Mr. and Mrs. Fox. As well as the extraordinarily organic farmers like Will Allen. This film truly showed the difficulties that arise from the use of conventional; from the personal issues to the issues from going against mother nature. Micheal Polan informed us that the only reason monoculture's survive is due to the fact that there are a heavy influence of antibiotics. I never realized that many of the same species of animals living together was a bad thing. I cant imagine it causing a problem but they made it very obvious that it does including diseases as well as lesser quality meat that comes from the animals.
This film was easy to connect to as it pertained to the food I am putting into my body. I still am not fully convinced that organic farming is the only way to eat. Will Allen stated that "Everyone needs access to rich sustainable food..", But that does not mean that that has to be all that one eats. I'm sure it aides in being well rounded but I do not think that it has to be the only way of eating. Just as we have a diverse culture, I think that needs to play a role in the way we eat as well as we can not simply eat all fast food, I feel like it would go both ways that eating all organic would not be completely beneficial either.

4 comments:

  1. "Americans just want, want, want, they do not worry about where it comes from, as long as it tastes good." It's so insane to me that people will literally eat anything. People don't seem to care about where their food comes from and what extremely unhealthy additives are in their food. It seems like some farmers don't mind either since they raise their animals so poorly and process the meat so much, just to make an extra buck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I never realized that many of the same species of animals living together was a bad thing. I cant imagine it causing a problem but they made it very obvious that it does including diseases as well as lesser quality meat that comes from the animals." I'm really glad you made this point that you were unaware. It's really great to see that videos and other information like this can inform people on the issues we are now facing in agriculture and our treatment of animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I never realized that many of the same species of animals living together was a bad thing. I cant imagine it causing a problem but they made it very obvious that it does including diseases as well as lesser quality meat that comes from the animals." I was actually unaware of this as well. It's scary to think how many diseases these animals contracted and how it can end up in the food that we eat. It's also sad because the animals that are all living together in tight spaces are suffering and mistreated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This film truly showed the difficulties that arise from the use of conventional; from the personal issues to the issues from going against mother nature."
    I never realized how harmful animals cities were until this film. One would think that they are harmless and are very efficient, but people don't realize the spreading of diseases like E. coli. Also how the animal cities can cause pollution to the environment.

    ReplyDelete