Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Exploration 2 Nicholas Vouis

Holding On contains profiles of many people, but so far I think I admire Geneva Tisdale the most for several reasons. Geneva worked at the Woolworth's lunch counter for forty-two years, that alone is a feat in itself. most people cannot even remain married for forty-two years, let alone work the same job for forty-two years. On top of this, Geneva is an African American who was never allowed to serve the counter because of the color of her skin. during her whole career she remained behind the counter at Woolworth's. When the counter did reopen, Geneva was chosen to be served, this was a gimmick to get the press in, but it worked. Geneva says that that was the only time that she ever sat at the counter, never again during her whole career did she sit here. I admire her attitude about everything that goes on around her, while she is completely aware of her surroundings and knows what is right and not right, she remains calm the whole time. Geneva has a unique ability to persevere, which is clearly reflected in her fourty-two years at the lunch counter while believing she is still being underpaid. (Please do not misread what I have written, I am saying that I admire her ability to deal with a situation for so long, not the fact that she has never stood up for herself as it appears)

In Scott Russell Sanders' story I was surprised that after he was told that his father had died, he just kept building the wall. This surprised me because I was just amazed at how important carpentry was to him and his father. It was so important that he just continued to build the wall like his father would have. I learned that what he learned from his father and using those skills is how he honored him. In a way this is how we honor all of our family members, we learn skills from them and use them in our everyday lives. After pacing for a while in thought, Scott goes back to work on the wall as he "took up the hammer and went to work on my daughter's wall... making sure before I drove the first nail that every line was square and true." (Holding On, Sanders page 142) 

How far has the Civil Rights Act gone in ensuring equality? Will it ever ensure total equality?

No comments:

Post a Comment