Thursday, January 30, 2014

exploration two

So far in Holding On Miles Mahan has inspired me the most. He was the creator of the Hula Ville which to any one else was far from an amusement park, but to him it was a magical place. Tree stumps became fantastic rides for children, a hole-less and grass-less miniature golf course. Through his imagination he created something from basically nothing. I thought this made him someone to admire because he was able to make something for himself as well as others from simply the nature around him. He did not talk about how his "amusement park" was fun for him, but instead focused on how it was fun with others. He is one of the most creative people I have ever learned about or known in my entire life.

During Scott Russell Sanders story I was most shocked to learn about how severe of a problem his fathers alcoholism was and the great impact it had on his as a child as well as something that stuck with him for the entirety of his life. Yet when he was an adult with a son, he did the same thing to him but just without the alcohol. He made him suffer the same agonizing thoughts of it being his fault that his dad was upset and not happy the majority of the time.  "He (his son) tells me (Sanders) that when I am gripped by sadness, he feels responsible; he feels there must be something he can do to spring me from depression, to fix my life and that crushing sense of responsibility is exactly what I felt at the age of ten in the face of my father's drinking." (Sanders 191) This really shocked me as the whole passage he was struggling so much with his fathers alcoholism, I thought he would change for the better for his family. But this taught me that change is easier said than done, that being hurt so badly by someone was hard to overcome.

How is it that Geneva Tisdale was able to do so much for the white customers yet if they knew simply the color of her skin and saw her on the other side of the kitchen door they would no longer be accepting?







No comments:

Post a Comment